Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Big Ending

I'm sad to say the last few days of my maternity leave have arrived. I knew it was coming, but it always seemed to be farther away than it actually was. It's amazing how fast you become so attached to these sweet little babies. After those first several weeks of her life, I was still wondering if I was ever going to figure out this motherhood stuff and I wasn't too worried about going back to work because I figured her grandma that's going to be watching her was a pro after 5 kids of her own and would do a better job than I would anyway. But then I started to catch on to a few things and Janie started to turn into something new and even more beautiful and I fell really hard for this sweet little spirit I've been so blessed to have in my life.

This last Monday was when it hit me it was my last week and the dread and sadness set in big time. Mark came home to a very emotional wife. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull myself out of my emotional frump. It was the news that helped out of all things. With all the economic struggles that so many people are facing now days with the stock market dropping, companies closing, jobs being eliminated, and so on, my perspective changed and I began to feel very grateful that I had a good job that I enjoy to go back to in order to help support my little family. I have the wonderful opportunity to help put my husband through school so he can become our family's provider down the road, and I can help provide for the needs of our sweet daughter during that time. It's still really hard to get over the emotional parts of what's coming, but it will be very worth the sacrifice. I've heard several women talk about the sacrifices they've made to stay home with their babies because their babies deserve it. I head back to work because my baby deserves it just as much. I love my family and I'm glad the Lord has blessed me with them.

Here are the two reasons why I'm going back to work. Aren't they cute?!?! You know, I talk a lot about how wonderful our little girl is, and I don't say as much as I should about Mark. I think it's because of how emotional it makes me to think of how important he is in my life. He really is my entire world and I'm so grateful for him, that he's a worthy priesthood holder with a strong testimony, and what he does to take care of me. I know some times I don't show my appreciation for him enough. He's pretty awesome and I want everyone to know that. He's been pretty good as a dad too. He's doing a little more diaper changing and loves to make Janie smile. He's going to go nuts when she starts giggling. He's going to go even more nuts when she's giggling because he's tickling her!! Since his wife eventually starts beating him and yelling at him when he tickles her because she feels so defenseless against this big strong man, I'm sure he'll be happy to get his tickle fix with Janie when she gets there.

And here's our sweet little Janie hanging out with some of her friends. Since she's started interacting with us, she likes to interact with her little toys too (but we're still her favorite friends). She's usually good hanging out with them for a good 10 minutes or so before she gets bored. She talked to them for about a half hour one time which was really cute!


6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm sorry you have to go back to work! But you're approaching it with a really good attitude. I admire you for so many reasons. Thanks for being such a good wife to Mark - you are PERFECT for him! We Thomas's couldn't be any happier.

Staci said...

I will be thinking of you, Sariah, as you head back to work. As always, I LOVE your thinking! We are so fortunate that life affords us opportunities to shape our future for ourselves and our families. I know you will be able to be home with Janie some day soon! What wonderful parents you are!!

Gramma Cheryl said...

Oh, your comments made me cry this morning. I KNOW how really hard it is to leave a baby and go to work. I can feel your love for Janie and Mark. You express yourself so well. I hope that through this sacrifice you're making, you'll feel the blessings also. I know I will be blessed because of it. I'm so proud of your little family.

Stefanie said...

Oh I'm sorry :( That's really not fun. But you're 100% right - with things the way they are now it's always nice to stop and be grateful for a good job!

The Nicolaysens said...

I admire you for going back to work. And I really enjoyed this post. Good luck. Janie is getting so big, what a cutie!

Janelle! said...

I love your post, Sariah! What a woman, you are amazing!!! I'm so glad you joined our family. Mark's a pretty good guy... he is an awesome bro, so glad he makes such a great husband too! I'm sorry for the emotional struggle, and thankful for your attitude of gratitude! You are so humble in that way. I look forward to the days of watching Janie!