Thursday, June 25, 2009

Some Days Are More Interesting Than Others

First off, Janie is NINE months old today!!! She's growing up so much faster than I ever thought she would. I had no concept that babies turn into independent creatures as fast as they do. When I was skimming through my "What to Expect the First Year" book after she was first born I was just amazed at how fast everything happened - eating, sitting, talking, walking, etc. But she's super cute, and just gets cuter so it makes it ok that she'll be dating before we know it.

She had her doctor's appointment today too. Her head is 44.75 cm, she weighs 16 lbs. 15 oz., and is almost 28 inches long. So she's still tall, her head is average, but she's a little skinnier than she used to be. She fell below the 25% range so her doctor wants us to get some more calories in her. I'm not overly surprised because this feeding business has been one of the bigger challenges for me - what to feed her, how much to feed her, how often to feed her, getting her to feed herself, etc. Plus she's got mom and three different sitters and everybody is just a little different in how they approach it too. But I guess it's time to just stuff that cute face with as much as we can. :o)

I didn't really post much about her 8 month mark because I was hoping to get some of the pictures posted but haven't. It was on Memorial Day so we went to visit dead people - some really fabulous dead people. She went to her great grandparents graves for most of Mark's grandparents (his dad's mom is still alive and awesome as ever) and she made her first trip to her grandma and grandpa Fabry's grave too. She was really good for being out and about for so long.

So we've got an interesting story. Our dryer went out a few days ago (a belt broke - easy to fix but it takes time which we're a little short on) so we snagged Mark's parents' old dryer because they just bought a really nice washer and dryer set and still had their old ones. We want to get some newer ones in a year or two anyway so it was perfect for now. We decided to just give away our old one and the guy that called on it sounded like a nice little old man from some small town - had a drawl and just that back woods way of talking. So he drove down from Logan to pick up ours and a couple others because he fixes them up and gives them to low income families. While we were talking to him he made sure we were LDS and made a comment about how he was Heavenly Father's fifth son. We were confused what he meant so he explained that Jesus was first, Michael (Adam) was second, Lucifer was 3rd, I don't remember who was fourth, but he was fifth. He said he spent some time with our heavenly parents and was told some very special things. After this he said he had been impressed/told to bless our house and asked if that was alright. Since we didn't think the guy was going to curse our house we said sure. So he blessed our house. It was a little interesting having this guy we just barely met do this, but not in a bad way. The little bit I found even more interesting that his blessing was very similar to my patriarchal blessing. It wasn't highly specific, but it was similar. He shared some other stories, told me I have Heavenly Mother's eyes and that he's been able to discern many of his other direct siblings and that I was one of them. It was all very interesting. And in the end we're left thinking who are we to really discredit the man but we're just kind of "whatever" about it. And who can't always use a nice blessing on their home?

Anyway, I'm hoping to snag Mark's computer one of these days and go crazy with those pictures. There was one Saturday that Mark took over 70 pictures in about 2 hours because she's such a camera diva. When she sees the light on the camera out come the cheesy grins! It's sooooo funny!

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a funny story about that guy. I think it would have creeped me out just a little. That's cool he fixes them up and gives them to low income families - sounds like a nice guy!

Good luck feeding Janie more. I hear you on the whole feeding thing - how much, how often, etc. The doctor has always told me that as long as she's gaining weight, we don't need to worry. But it sure gets to be a hassle!

Carrie and Shane said...

I was glad to see your comment. Please tell everybody I miss them. I hope girls camp was a blast.

Yes, that is a very interesting story. I'm glad you shared. Janie is still as adorable as ever.