Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Few Summer Events - Finally

WARNING!!! This is going to be a long post. Just the kind we all love. :o)

We've had a few adventures this summer in between Mark's homework, my attempts to keep up with our nutty child, housework, our house getting shot, and all the other random stuff I've posted on here. So prepare yourself for a lot of pictures and a little video montage to come soon. Here goes!

First off, we went to Mark's work party at the Bees game on July 25th. It was Janie's first game so we definitely had to take some pictures. She did REALLY well. She just hung out in her car seat for a long time and had fun people watching and listening to the random announcements and music over the loud speakers. We got a little tired of the crowd (Mark's work has an interesting assortment of people and some are a little ... uh ... white trash. I feel justified in saying that since I grew up in Kearns and all) so we headed down to the lawn and hung out. She loved having more room to move around but wasn't sure how to handle the steep incline of the hill. There was also fireworks that night. Janie's not a fan of the loud noises they make but loves to watch them. So I would just cover her ears nice and tight and she was good to go.




Next we went to my work party which was at Snowbird. We sadly forgot to take the camera. We were so depressed when we realized that. But it was fun. Mark and I rode the zipline which was ok. It wasn't as exciting as we thought it was going to be, but can't complain since it was free. Our favorite part was taking the Peruvian Express tram up the side of the mountain almost all the way to the top. It was so beautiful!!! Janie fell asleep on the way up but was woken up by some other small kids screaming while we were in the tunnel that takes you to the Utah county side of the mountain. There was a bunch of snow up there still which was kind of fun. And since Janie was awake for the ride back down the mountain, she was all giddy about it. She had so much fun on the tram! I had her in a front carrier so I wasn't worried about her bouncing out of the seat so we let her grab on and just bounce away. It was pretty funny.

And our last notable trip was to Cherry Hill with Mark's family that I believe I have mentioned previously. We went on the Saturday where it was cloudy for most of the day and only got up to about 70 degrees so it was a little chilly, but still fun. I had never been there and Mark told me to have pretty low expectations. But I must say, I still had a pretty good time! I was mostly excited about being able to play with Janie in the water. And yes, even though it was pretty cold for swimming, we still subjected the poor girl to water time. We did the lazy river first. She wasn't so sure about it in the beginning but got used to it and started to enjoy herself. But then there were a bunch of squirting water things that turned on and she was NOT a fan. So I scrambled to get her out as fast as I could and waited for it to calm down again. I drug her back in but she wasn't very happy about it. So I took her out and bundled her up really well and passed her off to her aunts to play with while Mark and I went and did one of the slides with our niece Kylie. It was a lot of fun. We then went over and did the other slides which have parts where you can't see where you're going. Mark and I went together and he had me clinched between his knees so I didn't feel like I had any ability to stabilize myself so when we hit the dark parts I did the "tough chick" thing and screamed like a little girl. I got teased about it, but they didn't experience my situation of feeling like I had no control to balance myself. Or so I told them anyway. :o)


The sun did eventually come out so we put Janie back in her suit and took her to the kiddie play area known as Pirate's Cove and let her play. She had a pretty good time there. They also had a heated pool that we took her too which she had a great time playing with her daddy in. It was funny. I'm happy to say Janie survived the whole day with no damage done. Mark had a bit of a sun burn but not bad. I was the one who suffered the most. I got a nice sun burn and killed my legs too. I did 3 laps around the lazy river squatting while I held Janie and didn't realize how much exercise I was getting until I couldn't use my legs the next day. :o) I got over all of it though, so it's all good. Some of the following pictures still have somewhat "serious" faces on them, but we promise Janie was having fun by this point.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Fun pictures! Sounds like it's been an enjoyable summer. I just wish we all had more time to play Settler's, but such is life. All things considered, it's amazing we played as much as we did!

By the way, how to you put your pictures side by side like that? I would LOVE to learn how to do it!

Carrie and Shane said...

Wow, Cherry Hill's come a long way since I was last there. We have a family reunion there next week...hope we have better weather than you guys. Janie is looking more and more like Mark. She's a little doll.

TNT Satellites and Home Theater said...

I love the video of you guys squirting Janie with the spray bottle, we do the same thing and it is hilarious! LOL

TNT Satellites and Home Theater said...

oh i just realized this is signed in as Darin's work. this is carolyn and darin thurman LOL sorry

Janelle! said...

What a fun, busy summer you have had! I love the cute pictures. Hope you enjoyed your Moab trip!

Emily Youngdell said...

Cherry Hill sounds fun to me! Ok, what is cuter than babies in swimsuits?! Not much in my opinion.