Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Little More Info

Now that you've all seen how cute our little girl is, not that we're biased parents or anything, we thought we'd just share a little more of the story. We're happy to say that Janie came on her own. We didn't need to be induced and my water didn't break or nothing. She just decided she was ready. Contractions started Wednesday evening and had hit the point of being fairly strong between 10:00 and 10:30 that night so we started timing them. By about 2:00 that morning they were about 5 minutes apart and that's the point my doc said to go to the hospital so we did. They monitored things for a few hours and we hadn't made any progress so the nurse said it was probably false labor and that the contractions would go away and they'd see me on Sunday for my induction. We were a little bummed, but what do you do?

They sent us home with some meds to help me sleep. I was supposed to get a good 6 - 8 hours with them but only made it through 2 hours before being back to wide awake. The contractions were getting stronger but they weren't getting any closer. Mark wasn't feeling so well at this point either (we're guessing from anxiety and that fun stuff). By about 4:00 in the afternoon I was feeling pretty miserable and frustrated because the contractions were pretty strong but still 5 - 7 minutes apart and Mark's ability to help me out was going down hill because of the way he was feeling. So we called the hospital and they said intensity counts and to come back in. We had finally made some progress and they said they'd keep us this time. I was ready for an epidural after 18 hours of dealing with it on my own, and it was quite the life saver!! While my contractions never really got closer together, progress did pick up since I was able to relax. So after just a few more hours she made her grand enterance into the world. All in all, things went really well. Mark held up quite well too, although my doc and the nurses would check in on him now and then too. It was cute.

Since we've been home, we've been able to chub up her cheeks a little. She's still quite the long and skinny girl though. She's a really good eater, and thinks play time is from 2:00 to 4:00 in the morning so our schedule is completely thrown off. I've tried to be good about resting so I can get back to normal, but I haven't done such a good job. I just wanna be normal now!! But oh well. She's been so much fun and we've had a lot of laughs from this lil' cutie.






3 comments:

Laura said...

CUTE! I love all the grandma pictures that you posted. And I love the mo-hawk! Sorry to hear that she's got her days/nights mixed up - that does NOT sound fun. But I'm glad she's eating well and that you're getting some rest. :) I hear you on the 'wanting things normal now' thing!

Gramma Cheryl said...

What a great blog! I love the great-grandma posters...great idea (except you could have left me out) She's so sweet. Thanks for sharing all the good details. I loved reading it and reliving it in my mind again. You're doing awesome!

Cheryl said...

Congrats Sariah!
I am so glad to hear that you all are getting along so well!
It is just amazing! I remember when you were still just a kid and I was having my first one! Now my first one is going to be 17 in November! Woah! Where did the time go?
I hope you love raising your family as much as I have. Take the good with the bad and count smiles not tears.
Best wishes to you from the 9 of us!
Cheryl Munson