At least tonight I know what my problem is. I've decided this last week that the hardest part of being a mom is not having mine and I've been dwelling a lot on it tonight. I have had so many questions for her and so many things I would love to be able to share with her ever since the moment we found out we were pregnant and I don't have the opportunity to indulge those desires. It's been really wonderful having friends and relatives to talk to and ask questions, especially since so many of us had babies around the same time. It's just not the same though. I can talk to my friends about them loving their babies as much as I love mine but what I would give to hear my mom talk about loving me the same way when I was her baby. I wonder so often how she accomplished what she did with all of her physical limitations. I get exhausted taking care of Janie some times and I'm 100% healthy. She was crippled, weak, and in constant pain yet she managed. I've had a list of questions a mile long that just keeps getting longer and I'm going to have to wait a long time for those answers.
Fortunately, despite all my struggles with this, I can still find peace in all of it. A couple of days ago my coworker was joking about how he wished he had one of those Jazzy electric scooter thingies and I had told him how my mother who had artificial knees and was on Medicare (since they emphasize that they're covered by Medicare) got turned down. Then the wheels started turning in my head about how if she had one of those scooters she wouldn't have had the accident that eventually led to her passing because she wouldn't have been going down any stairs, etc. Then I started wondering what life would have been like if it never would have happened and she was still alive. After replaying the last 6 1/2 years with those changes, I decided in the end that what happened was for the best for the sake of our family. My dad still would have died from cancer and having cancer wasn't enough for him to make the changes in his life and in himself that he needed before he went. He needed something outside of himself to do that and my mom was the best shot Heavenly Father had for him. After everything else she had already been through in life, she had the inner strength to suffer what she did to provide something for her family that she never got to enjoy and I'm very grateful for her sacrifice and for Heavenly Father finally relieving her of her suffering once she accomplished what He needed her to do.
As a little side story, about 9 years ago I sat down and had a conversation with my dad about how I planned on getting married in the temple and that I wanted him to be there. It really hurt when he told me that I should just plan on him not being there. Thanks to my mom's circumstances, he made it even though she had passed away a year earlier. It wasn't even him who told me he was working on getting his recommend - it was my grandma and I was just in shock because I didn't even know he was going to church. I think he cried almost as much at our sealing as I did, and I think it's because it helped him not only appreciate being married to such a wonderful woman but helped him understand the significance of what he had, and he was looking forward to joining his sweet wife just a few short months after we got married. Her situation also provided the means to mend some strained relationships too.
Another little something special I take comfort in occurred at Janie's baby blessing. A couple of ladies in our ward (they're sisters) I actually grew up with in Kearns. They were a couple of my babysitters, are the same age as my brothers, and knew my mom pretty well. So after Mark blessed Janie we got up and did the normal testimony bearing on Fast Sunday as the proud parents. I did the usual "I love my baby, boo-hoo, boo-hoo" stuff and Mark's was really sweet and loving, and he had mentioned something about how much I had been missing my mom. At the very end, one of my old neighbors comes in from the foyer and walks up and shares about how difficult it was for her to make it to church that day - couldn't find things she needed in the morning and other various problems - but that she really felt like she needed to be there for some reason. She said that as Mark shared the bit about me missing my mom she felt something and needed to share it. So she continued by telling a little bit about my mom and the type of person she was and how much she loved her even as a neighbor. Then she started on how even though I don't feel my mom close to me that she's always there keeping watch over me, that she loves me and is there for me which really hit home. In talking with friends who have also lost family members they've shared experiences where they've been able to recognize the influence of those who have passed in their lives. My family members have had little experiences too but I haven't been able to recognize them in my life so it was really interesting in a lot of ways to hear her say that. I really appreciated it.
So even though I'm glad my mom has graduated from this part of life for many reasons, I sure do miss her. Since I'm still pretty young I wonder how these feelings might evolve over time, or even if they'll evolve at all because they haven't changed much over the last 3 1/2 years (or 6 1/2 years depending on how you look at it). I've been really blessed to have a lot of really good people placed in my life, to have married into a really good family that has adopted me as their own, and to have the gospel in my life to provide the foundation I need to find so much comfort in where my mom and dad have gone.
Now I just need to pull the tissue out of my nose that's preventing "fluid" from running down my face and find a way to sleep so I can get up in less than 5 hours and go to work. Time to find a book I guess.
7 comments:
Sure wish I had some words of comfort. But you ARE family to me and I feel so blessed to have you in our family. You give me so much strength and I admire you for how you carry on and don't give up.
Funny how you can't sleep - I've been the same way. It used to take me anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to fall asleep, but now it's more like 30 to 45 minutes. And I wake up at least once, if not twice, to get up and use the restroom or just to think. I wonder if it's the hormones or something. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Just wish I knew how to fix it. :)
That was really beautiful, Sariah. Your Mom was a really wonderful woman and I know she is watching over you and your sweet family.
I'm so glad that you have a blog so we can keep in touch better. :)
This is Mark,
I just have to say that I love you very much Sariah! I wish that there was something I could do to help you with missing your Mom so much other than be here for you.
And by the way everyone, after she wrote this heart-wrenching blog, she filled out a few March Madness Brackets. Boy! Did I marry the right woman or what!?!?
Oh, Sariah! You need to have a warning before you post something like this.
I dont blame you for missing your mom. She was a wonderful woman and a great example to all of us girls on how to be a good mom!
Your little girl is adorable!!!
(this is Brittany Thompsen Yeates)
What an insightful post! I knew that both of your parents had passed away, but I didn't know many details. I don't have much experience in that department, but I feel for you.
Oh gosh I don't even know what to say. That was very sad and sweet at the same time. You have a fantastic hubby to help you through.
Wow Sariah, that got the waterworks going for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and vulnerabilities with us. I wish you could talk with your sweet mom about Janie, I know how much she loves her. Your mom was awesome, just the kindest sweetest lady ever, and I remember Coral always talking about how your mom would do your hair so well, even with her crippled hands. I miss her too, so I can only imagine how much you do! Hugs!
Post a Comment