Saturday, March 7, 2009

We Have Success!!!

So things continue to be pretty good around here. Since Janie's doctor suggested we get going on the solids after her four month appointment, we tried and she just didn't seem ready. However, she's doing a lot better now. It still has its challenges, but at least we've worked a couple of regular feedings each day into her routine and she'll actually eat it now too. Whoo-hoo! At first she wasn't big on the whole sitting to eat thing so she would only do it if she was laying on the floor and she would do her little razzing sounds while she would eat so it would spray every where. It was lots of fun I tell ya! But this last week she decided it was ok to sit in her car seat or bouncer to eat. Makes things a little easier. So far she's only had carrots and we tried apples a couple of more times but we weren't successful. I can't say I blame her because I tried the apples and they were rather gross. :o)

I'm also a little torn on Janie's blanket arrangements when she goes to bed. We still swaddle her and I would also tuck another blanket over her to keep her from kicking off the swaddled blanket during the night because her room gets pretty cold (old crappy windows). So one morning I went in to get her because it was about an hour later than when she'd normally wake up and she had her second blanket pulled up over her face which isn't a good thing. I was rather concerned about it (that whole SIDS thing) so I've bagged the second blanket and have tried other ways of keeping her swaddling blanket on her but she still gets it off so she's cold when I go in to get her. I'm to the point where I'm tempted to use a large safety pin to keep that bad boy around her. I'm thinking about maybe trying a larger blanket too since I would have more to tuck under her and it would be thicker to keep her warmer. Thoughts?

In other news, Mark has officially completed his first week at Bellevue University. He went through his normal "I'm so overwhelmed and discouraged cuz I just don't know if I can do it" phase so I gave him the usual "Don't do this to yourself - give yourself a chance" pep talk and he had all of his first week's homework done four days early. So he's doing just fine now. :o) He really likes it too because all of his classes are actually associated with his major so he really gets into the subject material. Only one more year of school and it's over!!!! Go Markie, GO!!!

While Mark is doing his homework I've been cleaning house. And guess what . . . I'm making progress finally!!! Since Mark's more of the "Let's play" personality type, he sucks me in to his ideas and I haven't been very good at drawing the line the last while because I wanted to be sympathetic to his enslavement to school this next year. But now that sympathy time is over, I can go like mad (when Janie's asleep because she's SOOOOO much better than housework) and we're catching up. Mark also convinced me to sign up for Facebook finally using the persuasion that his parents and my grandma had beaten me there. So I'm out there now. I don't spend much time on it though, but I'm there.

I've also been doing a lot of debating on breast feeding lately - how long to keep it going. I committed myself to at least 6 months and now that the six month mark is approaching I'm trying to re-evaluated my situation. Pumping at work interferes with my actual work so it's hard to stay caught up. It's so much easier than it used to be so I like the convenience at home. And I go back and forth and back and forth.

Anywho, I'm sure there's more I can put on here but I have a baby that wants to play and a pile of carrot-stained laundry to do so I'm going to go enjoy myself. TTFN!

P.S. More pictures next time!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm starting to re-think the breastfeeding too. At first it was "wait until her first tooth, then decide" but it's getting harder these days. She's more squirmy, doesn't eat as long as she used to, and loves to drain a bottle. But then I stop and think about the natural vitamins she's getting from me and the stuff that helps boost her immune system (or so I've heard). So I'm torn as well. Let me know what you decide ... I'd love to hear how you came to your conclusion!

As far as swaddling, we had to switch to a bigger blanket with Ella and that helps because it wraps around her better. But she's such a wiggler these days, that after waking up and playing a little bit, she's pretty much unwrapped. And no matter how tight I wrap her, she always works those arms loose! :) Another suggestion a friend gave me was to wrap her up in two pairs of pajamas. We did that for a few weeks when it was super cold out here and that seemed to keep her warmer.

Sheesh ... maybe I should have just sent an e-mail! Oh well. Glad to hear she's eating baby food - we still haven't started many solids (besides prunes ... to help with you-know-what). But she loves her cereal!