Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We're Done!

It looks like nursing has come and gone. I've been down to pumping once in the morning and nursing once at night for the last two weeks or more and had just knocked it down to just pumping once a day this last weekend intending on going another week or two provided that I didn't just dry up on my own. But then things changed yesterday.

I came to work with all the normal things in tow - lunch bag, milk bag, pump bag, regular bag (also referred to as a purse by some, but to me it's a bag). And time came to head to the pump closet only to get back there and find out there was no door. It's hard to have a private moment in the pump closet with no door. They had done a little construction on a waiting room in a different part of the building so I wondered if they had turned that into the new pump room. So I walked back and sure enough, there was the door. As I stood there and evaluated the situation, I wasn't so sure how I felt about it. We had petitioned for a long time (me and the many mommies before me) for a bigger and more accommodating room. And thanks to one of our female VPs being an expectant mother, we finally got it. So you think I would be excited. But I wasn't. It was right next to two offices of some of our male VPs and by a bunch of occupied cubicles (90% men) and right by the back door that is used by a ton of people so it was far more "public" than the old one which is in a corner where no one sits and hardly anyone ever walks by. And not only was it bigger, it felt too big. It was weird. So I decided not to use it and just call it quits.

So I've passed 48 hours without nursing or pumping with no problems. I think my body was more ready to be finished than I thought it was. It's been interesting in how this has all played out because I started preparing to wean Janie in May because I had committed to going to YW girls camp in the middle of June just to get released a week or two before camp so then I didn't have to stop. I've just been floating along since then saying "One or two more weeks" for the last 6 weeks just to have the thing that I've been looking forward to be my reason for stopping. How ironic!

But Janie's been ready for a while so this is no shocker for her. She does well with the formula and it's stopped making her so constipated. I do have about two weeks worth of the good stuff in my freezer and I plan on introducing her to whole milk around the middle of August, so I think we're good. I just need to figure out how to stop the weight gain that's come along with the weaning.

Just thought you'd all like to know. :o)

4 comments:

Leah said...

That's so sad it makes me want to cry! All of it! The fact that you only got a good room once someone important came along, and then it wasn't a good room at all, and then the fact that you're just done..... WAHHHH! Ok, maybe a little overboard, but you're handling it a lot better than I am!

Laura said...

How funny that you decide to stop because they got you a good room to nurse in ... VERY ironic! But I'm happy for you. I'm the exact opposite of Leah - I couldn't wait to be done nursing. It was such a pain to get Ella to eat from me that I cheered the day I stopped! :)

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

You did good. Pumping is really hard work, and you've done it for a while! Good luck on the weight stuff (nursing over a year always helped me lose an extra 5 lbs besides the pregnancy weight, it was awesome lol), but I think you look great!

Anne Madeleine said...

Oh Sariah, you make it sound so do-able. Feeding has been the hardest thing that Cleo and I have had to overcome, but now that we have it under control, it is the most special experience we have. I am really dreading when she stops altogether. You are so brave!